Role Value Proposition:
MetLife Investment Management
Based in Whippany, New Jersey, MetLife Investment Management (MIM) is one of the largest institutional investors and asset managers in the world, with over $587 billion in combined managed assets, and has consistently generated superior returns for both policyholders and shareholders. The enterprise has more than 900 dedicated professionals with extensive experience and expertise in all asset classes, with a strength in public and private fixed income and private assets, including real estate.
In October 2012, building upon the company’s distinct expertise and success investing in private assets for the general account, MetLife launched its third-party asset management business in corporate private placements, infrastructure debt, commercial mortgage loans and direct equity investments in commercial real estate. In addition to a strong track record and investment talent in both public and private assets, MIM’s competitive advantage lies in our deep credit underwriting fundamentals, seasoned and experienced individuals who have worked together for many years, and a disciplined risk management approach that permeates the business. Institutional investors have access to MIM’s unique platform and capabilities, intellectual capital, and the ability to work with a financially-strong partner offering attractive long-term returns and well-managed risk.
Real Estate Debt
MIM offers investors a commercial mortgage strategy that seeks to identify a relatively broad spectrum of commercial mortgages that offer higher relative value and greater protection from default risk. MetLife’s commercial mortgage business focuses on institutional quality office buildings, retail centers, apartment complexes, industrial properties and hotels that are in targeted primary, secondary and select tertiary markets. Professionals in MIM’s seven domestic regional offices (Northeast, Dallas, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Southeast, Washington DC, and Whippany, NJ) and four international offices (London, Mexico City, Tokyo and Santiago) source, evaluate, underwrite and process the loans and have in-depth real estate knowledge and longstanding industry relationships.
The Senior Debt Analyst will play an important role in the Southeast regional office’s loan origination efforts by completing in-depth property and market analyses, assisting in the internal loan committee approval process and closing senior commercial mortgage loan opportunities. The Senior Debt Analyst will provide primary support to the Debt Team’s higher-yielding MIM lending strategies, while providing secondary support to mortgage production and loan management efforts for the MetLife General Account and investment management clients.
- Support the Southeast regional office Debt Team in the sourcing and originating of new first mortgage loans and subordinated debt by providing quantitative financial modeling and market analysis used in the property underwriting, valuation and evaluation of potential opportunities across a range of property types and geographies.
- Collaborate with Debt Team members, brokers, property owners, attorneys and other transaction counterparts to perform due diligence throughout the closing process.
- Play a major role in the preparation of investment memoranda and participate in deal presentations to the debt investment committee.
- Assist with loan asset management throughout the loan term, including property financial statement analysis, investor reporting and property inspections.
- Perform internal and external ad hoc reporting, pipeline tracking using MetLife’s proprietary mortgage production system and provide systems database support.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Real Estate, Economics, Math, Statistics, Liberal Arts or a related field of study. MBA a plus.
- Results orientated team player. Emphasis on communication skills (both oral and written), ability to handle multiple assignments, strong work ethic and time management skills.
- Strong quantitative and computer skills, specifically advanced Excel and Argus Enterprise modeling.
- To post for this position, you need the proper work authorization to work in the country where the position is located and not require relocation assistance.
- Preference given to candidates who have relevant experience (knowledge of Argus Enterprise, Excel, Word and PowerPoint) and familiarity with the leading commercial real estate market data resources (i.e.-CoStar, CBRE Econometric Advisors, Real Capital Analytics, etc.).
- At least 2 years relevant experience with demonstrated understanding of commercial real estate valuation and discounted cash flow analysis.
- Investment Management
- Hospitality / Entertainment
2+ to 5 years
Apply for this job