Tahoe Donner is a vibrant and desirable mountain community, providing attractive and well-maintained facilities, events, programs, and leading customer service to its members, guests, and public, all while maintaining accessible and healthy natural surroundings. POSITION SUMMARY Our client, Tahoe Donner Association (TDA), is seeking a dynamic leader to be their General Manager. TDA is nonprofit mutual benefit corporation and one of America’s largest homeowner’s associations, with nearly 6,500 properties and 25,000 members enjoying over 7,300 acres in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Tahoe Donner (tahoedonner.com) is an eclectic community with a passion for outdoor recreation and a celebration of the Tahoe lifestyle. A premier common interest development, established in 1970, Tahoe Donner is located approximately 25 minutes from world-renowned Lake Tahoe.
Tahoe Donner is comprised of approximately 7,000 acres, with over 4,000 acres of common area, trails, and open space interspersed among the community homes. Tahoe Donner is well-recognized for its importance in the Tahoe area’s community and business affairs. The Association operates several recreational facilities and programs, including downhill and cross-country ski areas, two restaurants, a championship golf course, equestrian center, and campground. These amenities are available for members and hiking trails and playgrounds are public access. Additionally, the Association manages other amenities for the exclusive use of the property owners and their guests, including tennis courts, swimming pools, a beach club marina on Donner Lake, and a fitness center. Of the more than 5,000 developed residential lots, 85% are second homes. Dues are assessed on 6,473 lots.
The Association operates from a solid financial base with an annual operating budget of $25 million and assets of $71 million. TDA employs 91 employees year round and up to 400 seasonal employees. The Association operates its own full-service vehicle maintenance, general maintenance, and forestry departments. The Association maintains leading standards of natural resource stewardship, facilities, covenants and architectural standards, services, customer relations, and fiscal accountability to benefit the owners/members. Organizational effectiveness and continuous improvement are sustained by maintaining a highly professional board of directors, staff, and homeowner committee volunteers, while also engaging the Town of Truckee in an effective and collaborative relationship. The General Manager has full responsibility for the direction and management of the Association, including tactical and strategic direction, budget and financial management, amenity marketing, covenants and architectural standards enforcement, facilities maintenance, and capital improvement. This challenging and high impact position works closely with and reports to the Board of Directors, serves as an important interface with members/homeowners, and leads TDA’s management team and staff.
It is expected that the General Manager will achieve the following within the first three months:
* In the first 30 days, identify and meet with key stakeholders (to include Board Members, staff, standing committees, community members, business partners and civic leaders) to develop relationships and a comprehensive understating of Tahoe Donner from a stakeholder perspective.
* In the first 60 days, conduct a business operations review (audit of services, efficiencies and costs, customer service) and review of governing and regulatory documents.
* In the first 90 days, based on insights from the above activities, begin the first draft of a strategic business plan, including financial considerations, mapped to the vision, mission, and values. Top strategic plan elements should include:
a. The downhill ski lodge rebuild plan proposed, approved and implemented. Elements to include design, size, function, and financing.
b. Research to include a thorough analysis of amenity usage, costs, and revenue.
c. Staff development
d. Identification of best practices for key organizational facets.
It is expected that the General Manager will achieve the following within the first six months:
* Establish a reputation as a strong leader and effective communicator who acts with integrity to the highest levels of member service.
* Develop the strategic business plan to the point of being ready for formal consideration by the Board. It is expected that the General Manager will achieve the following within the first year:
* Strategic business plan is approved by Board, with substantive progress in implementing the plan.
* Establish a reputation as a strong, customer service-oriented leader.
EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCIES
Successful candidates will have the following combination of experience and competencies that will allow them to achieve the outcomes noted above (in priority order):
* Minimum ten years of multi-line management experience with operational responsibility for $5M+ budget and staff responsibility of 100+ FTEs.
* Combined experience within both (1) a member association, private club, resort/recreation entity, or public entity equivalent as well as in (2) the private business sector is desirable.
* Proven track record in partnering and operational improvements.
* Experience with or exposure to seasonal business(es).
* Experience with or exposure to ecology/environmental components.
* Experience with or exposure to covenants and architectural standards enforcement.
* Membership association experience or exposure as a Board member, volunteer, or staff.
* Experience with or exposure to land use planning and managing lands/open space.
* Experience with or exposure to funding, planning, developing recreational facilities and/or other major capital construction projects.
Successful candidates will have the following combination of education and credentials that will allow them to achieve the outcomes as noted above:
* Undergraduate degree; graduate degree preferred.
* CAE or Homeowners Association credential desired; if not in place, acquiring credentials will be a condition of continued employment.
VALUES, WORK STYLE, AND PERSONAL TRAITS
The ideal candidate will possess a combination of values, work style, and personal traits that will create an excellent fit with the organization’s culture and structure:
* A champion of the Tahoe lifestyle and all Tahoe Donner offers; an appreciation for the outdoors.
* Leader who manages by example, with the ability to manage as well as lead. Proactive with ability to react quickly to changing conditions and emergency situations.
* Politically savvy: self-aware; an active, careful listener who is open to new ideas, strong formal and informal communication skills, and sensitivity to others; understands how to say no gracefully.
* Excellent interpersonal skills, relationship-building.
* Excellent board management and/or upward management skills
* Consistently high performing with focus on objectives and outcomes.
* Accountable and holds others to account.
* Acts with high integrity and sets expectations of the same organization wide.
* Personally models excellent internal and external customer service and ensures this same standard organization wide.
Truckee is an incorporated town in Nevada County, California. It is an active, adventure-driven, modern mountain town with deep roots in the Old West. Located in the beautiful Sierra Nevada mountain range, Truckee is 185 miles northeast of San Francisco, 100 miles northeast of Sacramento, and 32 miles west of Reno, Nevada. This highly coveted location makes it an ideal place to live, work, and play. The National Council For Home Safety and Security ranked Truckee as the 4th safest city in California. Just off Interstate 80, Truckee is a portal to world class recreation in every direction. There are endless possibilities for year-round outdoor activities, whether a few minutes away at Donner Lake, 15 miles away at Lake Tahoe, or at one of many world-class Alpine or Nordic ski resorts.
Truckee was one of Sunset Magazine’s four finalists for best Adventure Towns in 2016. Truckee has a population of just under 20,000 people. The Tahoe-Truckee Unified School District provides K-12 education with two elementary schools, two middle schools, and Truckee High School. Sierra College has its Tahoe-Truckee campus in town. Amtrak, the national passenger rail system, provides service to Truckee, and the Truckee-Tahoe Airport provides access to the North Lake Tahoe recreational area through general aviation services.
Truckee has a cool-summer Mediterranean climate. Winters are cold with regular snowfall, while summers are warm to hot and dry, with occasional periods of thunderstorms. Truckee’s location near the Sierra Nevada summit at 5,899 feet provides conditions for winter storms to commonly deposit a foot of snow in a 24-hour period and the occasional week-long storm can deliver 6 to 10 feet of snow. Truckee's warmest month is July with an average maximum temperature of 82.7 °F and an average minimum temperature of 42.4 °F. January is the coldest month with an average maximum temperature of 40.9 °F and an average minimum temperature of 16.3 °F. Normal annual precipitation in Truckee is 30.85 inches; measurable precipitation occurs an average of 87.0 days annually. Truckee has an average of 204.3 inches of snow annually, which makes it the fifth-snowiest city in the United States.
COMPENSATION AND INTERVIEW PROCESS
The compensation package includes a competitive base salary of $220,000-$250,000 plus potential bonus. Tahoe Donner matches 50% of the first 6% of employees’ 401K contributions. The General Manager is eligible for a company car, company cell phone, and several other perqs, as well as health benefits. Pre-screened, selected candidates will be invited to interview in Truckee, CA with the Search Committee on April 6, 2020, with second interviews the following morning.
PROCEDURE FOR CANDIDACY
For confidential consideration, at your earliest convenience and no later than close of business on March 13, 2020, please email your chronological resume (to include description and size of current/prior organizations and responsibilities) and compensation expectations to: TDA-GM at wilcoxcareer.com
- General Management and C-Suite
10+ to 15 years
Apply for this job