Why Join Us?
For over 90 years, The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC) has had a national reputation for excellence in planning, and today serves a culturally diverse population of over one million people on the border of Washington, D.C. in Montgomery County. We provide planning functions through the Montgomery County Planning Department, which has pioneered programs in agricultural preservation, inclusionary housing, and transit-oriented design. We focus our skills and talents to bring high-quality design in both form and function to all areas, from central business districts to rural villages. To learn more, visit us at !
We are seeking a highly innovative planner for the position of Division Chief to lead the Intake and Regulatory Coordination (IRC) Division. A leader with excellent management skills, someone who can foster team play and problem solving among the staff, stimulate creativity, and establish and meet project goals. The ideal candidate will have a strong working knowledge of master plans, land use regulations including State of Maryland and Montgomery County Forest Conservation and Storm Water Management regulations.
As the Division Chief, you will be primarily responsible for supervising a diverse group of staff with widely varying functions to include:
- the intake of applications for new developments
- providing customers accurate and timely for requests for information at the Information Counter
- monitoring the review of development applications
- serving as chair of the inter-agency Development Review Committee (DRC) meeting
- ensuring inspections for forest conservation, preliminary and site plans are done in a consistent and fair manner and follow Department protocol
- coordinating with the Montgomery County Department of Permitting Services on inspections and building permit reviews
- interpreting and implements regulatory policies and provides technical guidance on development procedures and the forest conservation law for planning staff and customer
- working closely with Planning Department inspection and legal staff in all enforcement cases and may need to testify at violation hearings
- leading all aspects of the ReForest Montgomery tree planting programs which plants trees and forests on private and public lands.
As a liaison with other county agencies that have responsibilities for the development approval process, you will regularly convene meetings with representatives of the building and construction industries to discuss and resolve issues in the development process.
The IRC Division staff intake all development applications and manage the official filing system for development approvals from submittal through the approval process, building permits, close-out and archiving. Our plan submittal and review process is electronic. This position is critical to the success of this effort and ensuring transparency in our review process.
Additionally, the IRC Information Counter staff are the first staff that the public sees when seeking information on a regulatory case. Similarly, the inspection staff might be the only time a property owner receives a visit from a staff member while the staff conduct routine inspections of conservation easements. It is the Division Chiefs responsibility to ensure that all information and communications with the public are fulfilled efficiently and respectfully.
Lastly, the successful candidate will have the responsibility of managing a staff of 20 and an annual budget of approximately $2 million.
1. Master's degree in planning, parks, architecture, engineering, environmental science, or related subjects; and
2. Eight years of a broad range of planning and/or regulatory related experience that included four years of supervisory experience or four years as a planning coordinator; or
3. An equivalent combination of education and experience.
If applicable, please provide a portfolio of projects, writing samples of planning documents, reports, and/or projects.
* This job announcement will close on Tuesday, November 3, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. EST *
Montgomery Planning is an element of the M-NCPPC, an award-winning, bi-county organization that offers excellent benefits and competitive salaries. We’ve moved! We are now conveniently located in downtown Wheaton, MD and easily accessible to Metrorail. Learn more about our new LEED Platinum-rated headquarters building at . Transit subsidies are available.
M-NCPPC is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will do what we can to provide reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us at 301-495-4511 to request accommodation.
- Architecture / Design
7+ to 10 years
This job is no longer active.