Marcus & Millichap Company (“MMC”) is seeking a Director of Human Resources to direct and manage the Company’s human resources activities.
About the company: MMC is a privately held organization, based in Palo Alto, California, with a diverse family of operating companies under its umbrella. Each MMC company is a distinct fusion of real estate specialization and innovation powered by a culture of loyalty that permeates throughout. MMC’s operating companies are in the , eal estate investment and estate development spaces. Our companies have revolutionized numerous real estate practices and set the standard of success as a result of an unwavering focus on long-term, sustainable growth, as well as a unique blending of entrepreneurial drive with institutional discipline.
About the role: Reporting directly to the General Counsel, the Director of Human Resources position is a highly visible role within an established and successful organization. Under minimal supervision, the Director of Human Resources will assume responsibility for leading and overseeing all Human Resources policies, processes and programs for the organization (MMC and its subsidiaries) and is responsible for managing the Human Resources team in order to ensure the overall effectiveness of the Department. The person in the role will serve as an advisor to management and employees on Human Resources-related matters and in adherence with best practices will manage the Company’s benefit programs, recruiting, employee on-boarding and exits, compensation benchmarking, and will ensure compliance with regulatory guidelines.
Additionally, the Director of Human Resources is responsible for managing the Corporate MBA Program, which is a rotational program for recent MBAs (and referred to internally as the Venture Associate Program).
The role is based at MMC’s corporate location in Palo Alto, California with convenient access to CalTrain, shops and restaurants.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Policies: Maintain the Employee Manual and periodically review the organization’s policies and procedures to ensure compliance with best practices and state, federal, and local guidelines. Make recommendations to executive management for improvement or changes to policies and procedures as necessary.
- Team Management: Work closely with the Human Resources Manager to oversee the performance of the team.
- Employee Relations: Become a trusted resource for the organization by working closely with management and employees to provide advice on sensitive issues including but not limited to performance-related issues, leaves of absence, and coaching and development opportunities.
- Performance Management: Oversee the companywide annual performance management program.
- Training and Development: Proactively identify training needs and assist in the development and/or selection of training materials and programs. Recommend leadership and coaching services as necessary.
- Benefit Programs: Oversee the Company’s benefit programs and ensure plan designs, premiums, and benefit offerings are competitive with the market - including health plans, 401k, Workers Compensation, and other internal benefits such as tenure awards, referral bonuses, etc.
- Recruiting: Work closely with hiring managers on open positions and recruiting strategies. Oversee the Company’s external recruiters and agencies, and actively participate in the recruiting and interview process as necessary.
- Compensation: Work directly with management on compensation benchmarking in order to provide input and guidance based on relevant external and internal data.
- Venture Associate Program: Manage and oversee the Venture Associate Program by working closely with the appropriate Executives to coordinate the assignments and rotations of the Associates. Ensure the success of the Program by sourcing and identifying talent, maintaining relationships with target schools and using other appropriate recruiting resources, managing the on-boarding process, regularly checking in with and soliciting feedback from Associates and managers, and providing guidance and coaching as necessary.
Additional responsibilities as required including but not limited to leading or participating in committees to plan, implement, and coordinate programs and/or activities for the organization, identifying areas in need of improvement and taking the initiative to propose solutions, managing the Human Resources, Reception, and Venture Associate budget by determining projections and adhering to budgetary guidelines.
- Experience leading and managing a team
- Experience partnering with senior leadership teams
- A thorough understanding of business operations, industry trends and employment legislation is required, in order to ensure that employment best practices are adhered to.
- Must be results-oriented and be able to manage multiple priorities simultaneously
- Must be able to balance risk mitigation with operational realities
- Strong inter-personal skills with the ability to communicate clearly and effectively
Education & Experience:
- 7+ years of related experience in a management role is required
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree is required
- HR Certification is preferred, but not required
- Human Resources
7+ to 10 years
This job is no longer active.