Realty Income, The Monthly Dividend Company®, one of four San Diego based S&P 500 companies dedicated to providing shareholders with dependable monthly income. Our company is structured as a REIT, and its monthly dividends are supported by the cash flow, almost 6,000 real estate properties owned under long-term lease agreements with regional and national commercial tenants. To date, our company has declared almost 600 consecutive common stock monthly dividends throughout its 50-year operating history and has continually increased the dividend since Realty Income's public listing in 1994 (NYSE: O). Our company attracts individuals who value integrity, perseverance, and teamwork. If you appreciate working on a truly collaborative team in a professional environment in a company that encourages a work-life balance, make sure to apply today!
As Realty Income’s Senior Legal Counsel, you will be supporting the acquisition efforts of the company. With our rapid acquisition growth and expansion, your legal expertise is taken to an established firm with a history of success. You will be responsible for providing legal counsel, supervising and administering all assigned matters, alongside an expanding team of in-house attorneys and paralegals. Additionally, your team-based nature will extend to outside counsel and third-party service providers. Your strong legal knowledge base is invaluable, as you will be providing advice to relevant decision makers throughout the company.
Your Contribution to the Team Includes:
Portfolio Acquisition Matters:
- Coordinate, analyze, manage, negotiate, document and close wide range of multifaceted acquisition transactions, including bulk asset acquisitions and a variety of transaction structures (e.g., asset, corporate, merger, etc.).
- Coordinate with the Corporate Paralegal for assignment of real estate assets to Company subsidiary as necessary for acquisition transactions.
- Supervise assigned Real Estate Paralegals and collaborate with interdisciplinary team to devise optimal approach in context of assigned transaction.
- Review, draft, negotiate and approve documents for a broad variety of real estate acquisitions.
- Review, evaluate and approve information and reports received in connection with complex acquisition transactions.
- Review existing loan documents and negotiate lender consent documents in connection with the assumption of in-place loans encumbering real estate.
- Supervise paralegals in coordinating escrow closings and post-closing matters.
- Exercise creativity and resourcefulness in resolving legal matters effectively and efficiently.
- Consult with the Acquisitions team on deal structure and strategic alternatives for acquisition of more complex opportunities.
- Develop and make recommendations to Assistant General Counsel or General Counsel regarding improvements to internal policies and procedures for handling acquisition and development transactions.
- Prepare extensive Excel abstract to advise Portfolio Management and Portfolio Acquisitions departments on a broad variety of current and potential management, financial and legal issues that may impact their respective scope of work for each real estate asset that is part of an assigned transaction.
- Perform comprehensive accounting analysis of rent and prepare rent table for each real estate asset part of assigned transactions.
- Provide clarification on legal language or specifications.
- Research and evaluate different risk factors regarding business decisions and operations.
- Apply effective risk management techniques and offer proactive advice on possible legal issues.
- Communicate and negotiate with external parties (brokers, external counsel, third party vendors etc.), creating relations of trust.
- Provide professional legal counsel and advice to Company executives.
- Assist in interviewing and hiring Legal personnel. Development Properties:
- Review and approve construction draw requests; assist in coordinating, processing and documenting same and closing projects out.
- Second-level review of attorney and paralegal work, as needed.
- General legal research and investigation.
- Routine advice/counsel to all departments on legal matters.
- General legal document review, drafting and negotiating.
- Special projects and duties as assigned.
- Handle miscellaneous and various corporate legal matters as necessary.
- Handle shareholder issues as necessary.
Performs other duties as assigned.
What You’ll Need to be Successful:
- A Juris Doctorate degree with proven academic success from an accredited law school, together with substantial experience in commercial real estate transaction law;
- Minimum of 7 years of on-point legal experience; and
- Any combination of training, experience, skills and other characteristics that would provide the requisite knowledge and abilities in support of the essential job functions; and
- Membership in State Bar of California (Non-California attorneys who otherwise meet the requisite qualifications are not necessarily ineligible to perform legal work for the Company, but, if employed in such a capacity, would be required to register with the State Bar of California and hold the title of “Senior Registered In-House Counsel”).
- Proven experience as a legal counsel in business environment.
- Highly effective written and verbal communication skills; ability to communicate complex ideas and issues clearly and concisely.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret a wide variety of -complex legal documents and agreements.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of real estate and corporate law.
- Adept and proficient at advanced legal document drafting and negotiating.
- Ability to effectively identify, research and analyze routine-to-complex legal issues, assess potential exposure, propose alternative courses of action and make well-reasoned recommendations.
- Ability to exercise creativity and resourcefulness in problem solving and promote effective and efficient resolution of legal matters.
- Ability to analyze complicated and complex legal matters and make well-reasoned judgments to minimize risk and add value to the Department and Company.
- Ability to effectively manage time, handle multiple projects concurrently, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships, and to function effectively as part of a team.
- Ability to actively listen to others, understand their position and respond appropriately.
- Adaptability to diverse legal issues and areas of legal practice.
- Highly proficient, effective; exceedingly professional.
- Capacity to effectually lead, manage, counsel, develop, train and support Real Estate Paralegals in their positions and profession.
In response to COVID-19, Realty Income has maintained our business operations and have open opportunities, yet made necessary adjustments to our hiring process. We are conducting all steps of the interview process in a virtual capacity. In response to California’s Stay at Home order and other states with similar provisions, our employees will continue to work remotely until these restrictions have been lifted and it is safe to work in an office again. Realty Income has endeavored to be adaptable and strategic in our capacity to maneuver in an unfamiliar situation, and we pride ourselves on our resilience. We immensely appreciate both your flexibility and consideration of Realty Income for employment.
To all recruitment agencies: Realty Income does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our job’s alias, Realty Income employees, or any company location. Realty Income is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
5+ to 7 years