Nuveen, the investment manager of TIAA, offers a comprehensive range of outcome-focused investment solutions designed to secure the long-term financial goals of institutional and individual investors. Its affiliates offer deep expertise across a comprehensive range of traditional and alternative investments through a wide array of vehicles and customized strategies. For more information about the firm please visit our website at
Real Estate Development
The Real Estate Development job is responsible for the financial, operational, leasing and construction/redevelopment of the organization's real estate portfolio. Working under minimal supervision, this job will focus on the monitoring and monthly reporting of development, redevelopment and large capital expenditure projects for the portfolio. This job also works closely with and maintains regular communication with internal stakeholders, joint venture partners, consultants, contractors, governmental officials and staff, etc. during real estate development projects.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
- Provides oversight support for major development, redevelopment and construction projects within the organization’s real estate portfolio, including overall budgeting, cost control, schedules, construction techniques, value engineering, product quality, risk management, design management, conflict resolution, and management of third parties for the assigned projects.
- Prepares Request for Proposal (RFP) documents, when needed, for various types of construction projects; scopes development, budget and timeline estimates, contractor qualification, and competitive bid solicitation.
- Provides bid analysis, as well as consultant/contractor selection recommendations to Asset Management.
- Observes, documents and reports that the architect’s oversight of contractor and vendor on-site activities are in contractual compliance with design specifications, schedules and workmanship standards.
- Coordinates with Asset Management to identify future large projects, and helps create project scopes and budgets for the Portfolio Management team's approval.
- Provides due diligence support for potential new acquisitions, including the review of third party A&E reports and the assessment of future capital needs.
- Looks for opportunities to implement Environmental, Social and Corporate Governance (ESG), technology and other broader organizational initiatives.
- Maintains familiarity and is conversant with current issues impacting the real estate development and construction business.
Additional Responsibilities and Duties:
- Estimated travel to job sites of 40%
- Oversee construction/redevelopment for the healthcare portfolio
- 5+ years of construction or project management related experience, specifically on healthcare real estate
- Demonstrated knowledge of real estate design, architecture, budgeting and best execution to maximize the financial performance and value of portfolio assets
- Prior experience in project management budgeting, financial tracking, and cost analysis, writing Request for Proposals, analyzing returned RFPs and selecting quality vendors and providers.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD and Microsoft Project a plus
- Proven ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, maintain highly detailed budgets, and optimize the use of 3rd party resources within a multi-tasking environment
- Possesses an understanding of development and construction contracts, subcontracts, plans/drawings, and specifications
The organization is committed to making financial well-being possible for its clients, and is equally committed to the well-being of our associates. That’s why we offer a comprehensive Total Rewards package designed to make a positive difference in the lives of our associates and their loved ones. Our benefits include a superior retirement program and highly competitive health, wellness and work life offerings that can help you achieve and maintain your best possible physical, emotional and financial well-being.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We consider all qualified applicants for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, sex, religion, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected status.
5+ to 7 years
This job is no longer active.