The City of Mesa is a great place to work! In addition to competitive salaries, the City also has a generous amount of other benefits available. For more information, please see our website:
($117,686.40 - $158,392.00 Annually)
ABOUT MESA, ARIZONA:
Mesa, Arizona is the 36th largest city in the United States with a population of nearly 500,000 and is part of the Greater Phoenix metropolitan area. Larger than Miami, Minneapolis, or Atlanta, Mesa covers 133 square miles and is the second largest city in the region. The Phoenix-Mesa area's population is currently 4 million and projected to reach 6.3 million by 2030 - ripe with opportunity now and many years into the future. With affordable housing, superior schools, a low cost of doing business, a reasonable tax structure, a skilled and well-educated workforce and low crime rate, Mesa offers a highly attractive lifestyle.
Mesa encourages a healthy outdoor lifestyle with over 330 days of sunshine a year. Seven public and private golf courses exist in the immediate area with over a hundred more in the neighboring greater Phoenix area. Other outdoor activities such as tennis, swimming, boating, hunting, fishing, skiing, hiking, and biking are also easily accessible to residents.
Educational opportunities abound in Mesa, with institutions of higher learning including Mesa Community College, East Valley Institute of Technology (EVIT), Arizona State University's Polytechnic campus, A.T. Still University, Embry-Riddle University, and Keller Graduate School of Management. Liberal Arts Universities like Benedictine and Wilkes, recently opened campuses in downtown Mesa along the light rail corridor, and Upper Iowa opened in Mesa's EVIT campus.
Mesa provides a full array of municipal services. In addition to traditional services, the City also owns and operates several enterprises, including the operation of electric, gas, water, wastewater, and solid waste utilities, two spring training baseball stadiums (Chicago Cubs and Oakland A's), a municipal golf course, a cemetery, amphitheater, conference center, Falcon Field airport and the internationally acclaimed Mesa Arts Center. Phoenix-Mesa Gateway airport also resides within the City of Mesa. The City is a customer oriented municipal organization with approximately 3,580 full-time equivalent employees and a total budget of $1.7 billion.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
This classification has been designated as a non-classified, non-merit system, at-will position. The Planning Director performs highly responsible administrative and supervisory work in planning, organizing, and directing the general operation of the Planning Division of the Development Services Department. The Planning Director is also responsible for developing and implementing policies and procedures related to Zoning Code administration and the planning, development, administration, and implementation of a comprehensive urban planning program for the City including the City's General Plan.
- Develops short- and long-range goals and objectives, developing and implementing goals and objectives to implement Council Strategic Initiatives.
- Serves as an advisor to City Management, other City departments, the public, and the City Council on City planning and division activities and acts as technical advisor to the City's Planning and Zoning Board, the Design Review Board, the Board of Adjustment and Historic Preservation Board.
- Oversees the preparation of the planning portion of the Department budget, and for directing professional and support staff engaged in reviewing and analyzing project proposals, plan drafts, revisions or additions to land use controls, and other factors involved in planning, controlling, and regulating City development.
- Responsible for interpretation of, and updates to, the Zoning Ordinance as required for implementation of the adopted General Plan, sub-area plans, and Council Strategic Initiatives.
- Exercises initiative and considerable professional judgment, discretion, and independence of actions in accomplishing division objectives and is held responsible for the effectiveness of division operations.
- Work requires a high degree of written and oral communication skills, and the ability to work effectively with City staff, citizen boards, and the public and other departments and work groups within the City.
- This class performs related work as required.
Work is performed under the general direction of the Development Services Department Director and is reviewed through the evaluation of conferences, meetings and reports.
This class is FLSA exempt-executive.
- All employees of the City of Mesa are expected to uphold and exhibit the City's shared employee values of Knowledge, Respect, and Integrity.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's Degree in Urban Planning, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Geography, Public or Business Administration or a closely related field.
- 7 - 9 years of progressively responsible administrative and supervisory experience of a large multi-functional organization.
- Must possess a valid Arizona Driver's License by hire date.
- Master's Degree from an accredited college or university in Urban Planning, Architecture, Public or Business Administration or a closely related field is highly desirable.
- Certification and membership in the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) is also highly desirable.
- Experience including regulatory requirements of the land entitlement process and interpretations and applications of zoning code requirements as they relate to the overall land and infrastructure standards.
City of Mesa offers a competitive benefits package. A CITY OF MESA ONLINE APPLICATION IS REQUIRED. Applications will be available as of the opening date of 4/27/2018 with first review on 5/14/2018 and continuous review of applications until filled. For complete job description, requirements and online application form, please visit our web site at: .City of Mesa is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Landscape Architecture
7+ to 10 years
This job is no longer active.