The Development Manager is responsible for day-to-day management of all facets of development projects from beginning to end with direct accountability for project execution while leading a team to accomplish specific objectives within prescribed time frames and financial parameters. Develop detailed entitlement strategies, schedules, project proformas, resource plans and status reports. Plan, direct, coordinate and schedule all aspects of project budget, goals and objectives to ensure timely, cost effective project completion. Effectively communicate relevant project information to management and minimize company exposure and risk. Provide creative insight in an effort to produce attractive development projects which will make them desirable to the public.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Formulate and define the scope and objectives of the project. Gather and document project requirements and ensure completion of the necessary feasibility studies, designs and entitlement processes including resource plans, schedules and work plans to produce final project plan. Review, coordinate, approve or recommend approval of all changes that occur during the planning process. Revise plan and schedules as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements. Challenge sliding schedules and use expertise to suggest options to maintain or accelerate same.
- Develop financial models to evaluate project viability and analyze/forecast cost estimate data for project proformas. Prepare and monitor project-related budgets and proformas and ensure that documentation outlining the cost and scope of projects, staffing requirements and engagement of consultants and contractors is developed in a consistent and accurate manner. Demonstrate understanding of bidding and procurement requirements to draft a request for proposal and review and qualify vendor bids. Review and administer all project contracts including consultants, contractors, etc. Recommend selections for project award.
- Manage the day-to-day operational and tactical aspects of assigned projects. Coordinate the project team comprised of internal departments and external operating partners to manage the scope, layout, design and other criteria regarding the project and to ensure all project requirements are understood. Oversee contractors, subcontractors, architects, engineers, tenants, etc. during all phases of the projects. Monitor project activities to ensure each project phase is progressing on schedule and within prescribed financial parameters.
- Interface with Development, Construction and Asset Management teams (as appropriate) to manage day-to-day interactions. Responsible for maintaining communication and providing timely and accurate project documentation and reporting regarding project scope, design, budget, quality and schedule agreements. Facilitate team meetings for purposes of project planning, communicating project information, status updates and to address issues. Resolve and/or escalate issues in a timely manner and communicate difficult/sensitive information tactfully.
- Enforce standards and procedures for project planning, design, reporting, decision making, and documentation. Ensure all project documentation is complete, current and stored appropriately. Provide oversight and evaluate contractors ensuring adherence to project and quality standards and addressing issues as necessary. Closeout project for transfer with all required certificates, inspections and documents as required.
- Establish constructive ongoing relationships with local politicians who have oversight and approval rights for our projects, the economic development staff and agency staff who review and approve the technical submittals that allow Armada Hoffler Properties development to progress. Act as liaison with state, federal and local government representatives as needed.
- Provide mentoring, technical consultation and leadership to Development Managers
- Act as liaison with state, federal and local government representatives and agencies as necessary.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
Skills, Knowledge, Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor degree in construction management, engineering, operations, architecture, business or other related discipline or equivalent experience. MBA or Masters Degree in Real Estate preferred.
- Project Management Certification preferred. LEED Accreditation preferred.
- Seven+ years of related real estate experience in development, project management, construction management or other relevant field. Commercial office and mixed-use project experience preferred.
- PC proficiency to include (but not limited to) Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.) and ability to learn company specific software.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Project or other Project Planning/Tracking software preferred.
- Occasional travel will be required primarily within the Mid-Atlantic region.
- Proven track record of successful project completion.
- Knowledge of sustainable development and construction preferred.
- Knowledge of current trends including LEED preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and organize cross-functional teams.
- Ability to read blueprints and architectural/engineering drawings.
- Excellent communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to prepare and monitor budgets and conduct financial analysis.
Armada Hoffler offers competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a professional and stimulating environment. Furthermore, we are an equal opportunity employer, provide a smoke-free and drug free workplace and participate in E-Verify.
You must pass pre-employment and random drug screens, a background check and possess a driving record in compliance with Armada Hoffler’s Driver Qualification Policy.
Qualified candidates should send a cover letter and resume.
7+ to 10 years
Apply for this job