COMPANY: Standard Companies (“Standard”) is a full-service investment and asset management firm that operates opportunistically in sectors where it has developed expertise. Standard operates from offices in Los Angeles and New York, with divisional offices in Washington, D.C. and Chicago. Standard has divisions focused on affordable housing (Standard Communities), opportunistic investments outside of affordable housing (Standard Capital), the energy sector (Exponent Energy), and insurance (Global Guaranty Insurance). Real estate investments are made through the Standard Communities and Standard Capital divisions.
Standard has completed more than $1.8 billion of transactions since being founded in 2008, including approximately $1.5 billion of acquisitions and rehabilitations in the real estate and distressed debt markets. Standard currently holds a portfolio of over 10,000 apartment units, of which more than 7,400 are affordable housing. Standard’s growing team of 35+ people includes construction, asset management, acquisitions, finance, legal, and accounting professionals.
Standard takes an opportunistic approach to investments, moving decisively to execute transactions quickly and creatively. Company culture is fast-moving and entrepreneurial, and there are high expectations of team members, who are provided with the support and resources they need to be successful in their roles.
JOB LOCATION: New York, Los Angeles or Chicago
JOB SCOPE: The Multifamily Acquisitions Associate will play an integral role by supporting the acquisitions team in the identification and analysis of multifamily property acquisition opportunities as well as debt and equity financing.
JOB DUTIES: Job duties/responsibilities will include:
Financial Analysis: Provide financial analysis and underwriting of potential acquisition and development opportunities utilizing Excel. Develop and maintain detailed financial models that will be utilized to value real estate investments.
Market Research: Provide research support utilizing online, internal and external resources. Data aggregation and analysis will be required. Stay current on industry trends and maintain market awareness in targeted markets through direct research and review of third party research.
Investor Marketing: Prepare investment presentations for investors, government agencies and brokers.
Transaction Execution: Assist in due diligence, coordination of 3rd party vendors, interfacing with lenders and government agencies, preparation of closing statements etc.
• Strong Excel modeling and quantitative skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication, organizational, presentation and analytical skills
• Ability to take ownership and commitment to follow through
• Ability to effectively prioritize and handle multiple tasks under pressure
• Strong work ethic and attention to detail
• Desire to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
• 2-4 years of relevant work experience with multifamily properties – previous employment at a principal real estate, real estate development, real estate investment or commercial banking firm preferred
• Bachelor’s Degree – Finance, Accounting, Economics or Real Estate Concentration is a plus
• High Proficiency in Microsoft Excel required