Dallas-based, privately held commercial real estate development and investment management company with exceptional performance specializing in value-add and opportunistic real estate investments. With an entrepreneurial spirit and proven 30-year track record across several market cycles they have steadily built up a portfolio of over 13 million square feet of industrial and office properties and 4,000 multifamily units located nationally.
The Director – Multifamily Acquisitions will be working closely with the Multifamily Acquisitions team. This position reports to the COO for the firm and is a key player in acquisition efforts, with primary focus on sourcing and analyzing potential value-add multi-family investment opportunities in the Southwest; covering Arizona, Las Vegas and Denver.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES / DUTIES
The activities listed here are not all-inclusive; rather, they indicate the types of activities normally performed by this position. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate core competencies in the following areas:
- Sourcing appropriate multifamily acquisitions, with specific focus on value-add multifamily opportunities.
- Shepherd real estate investment opportunities through the acquisitions and underwriting phases of the project, which will include:
- Analyzing/verifying project budgets and pro-forma assumptions
- Reviewing and assessing rent and sale comparables
- Obtaining and confirming third party reports
- Verifying and scrutinizing due diligence documentation
- Oversee preparation of the pipeline report and assist the Sr. Director with prioritization of deals to assure timely presentation of deals at pipeline and IC
- Identify and analyze the major risks affecting an investment opportunity.
- Research supply and demand forces in the market.
- Develop detailed and accurate financial models.
- Brief principals and staff on project details and prepare presentations for Investment Committee.
- Be a key thought leader in evaluating real estate opportunities through the Westmount investment acquisition process.
- Manage and provide overall support for the multifamily acquisitions team members.
- Supports all property sales and acquisitions by participating in the due diligence process.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree (BA/BS) from a four-year college or university in a relevant field of study (business, finance, real estate, economics or related field).
- A minimum of seven plus (7+) years of related experience and/or training.
- Documented knowledge of real estate cash flow modeling using Microsoft Excel.
- Affordable, student, and/or senior housing experience a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Highly detail oriented with strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Ability to provide efficient, timely, reliable and courteous service to customers and clients.
- Ability to effectively and efficiently present information and interface with Acquisitions Team as well as Company Leadership.
- Ability to prioritize and work independently; also works well in a group setting.
- Ability to respond effectively to sensitive issues.
- Requires advanced analytical and quantitative skills.
- Be a critical thinker.
- Be able to recognize and analyze trends in financial statements.
- Exhaustive understanding of financial concepts (DCF, ROI, IRR, NPV, Cap Rate, etc.) and factors effecting these metrics.
- Ability to comprehend, analyze, and interpret complex documents. (i.e. PSA, Lender Docs…)
- Ability to comprehend basic legal language as necessary.
- Ability to solve problems in stressful situations.
OTHER SKILLS and/or ABILITIES
- Intermediate to advanced skills with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Advanced skills and knowledge with Microsoft Excel.
- Willingness to work long hours when necessary.
- A passion for Real Estate.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY
Decisions made with thorough understanding of procedures, company policies, and business practices to achieve general results and deadlines. Self-sufficient in monitoring work unit and/or project deadlines. Errors in judgment may cause short-term impact to department.
7+ to 10 years